Thursday 26 August 2021

North Queensland - 26 Aug 2021

After calling in at the lookout first, we drove to Porcupine Gorge and walked down into it. (I do have to apologise, I'm kind of obsessed with this place. If you remember the story of Darryl & I then you know it has a special place in our hearts. We hadn't planned to come here on this trip, but it happened that we could, and I've taken so many photos I just can't choose the best ones, so you're getting a quite a few of my favourites).






A cute little dragon

Darryl & John took off down the creek towards the gorge hoping to make it to below the lookout, while I took lots of photos and relaxed. 



The sculptural effects of the sandstone are amazing

This hole worn by swirling rocks is so deep someone has made a ladder to go down

I don't know where there was a story about this, but it's pretty deep




John walking downstream

I also took photos for groups of people and one big group offered us a campsite. They had booked 3 but were only using 2. (#10). Another couple gave me intel on Einasleigh with Copperfield Gorge running. Lots of butterflies were flitting around the flowering bottlebrush and ti-tree, and there were numerous fish in the water. Stripeys, larger white ones and then at the swimming hole something really big that I couldn't see, but Darryl did later. 


I know this is a weed, but it's still pretty




Did you notice that I love rocks?

7 red-tailed black cockatoos, pelican, and kites flew overhead.

I  swam in the pool above and it was very cold, but I soon acclimatized. The others arrived back around 3pm, Darryl had a swim and we walked up. At the top we decided to go and look at the graves and native well, then the whistling bore on the way to the lookout again (for the different light). 





Darryl discovered that we had been here 10 years and 20 days before when he marked a point on the hand held GPS back at the lookout. 



John decided to head off to Mount Isa (for his glasses and a new battery), and we went back to the campsite. A Wallaby and joey were on the road along with lots of cattle. We had happy hour and dinner (mushrooms, garlic and our own eggplant fried...delish). The night entertainment was 10 satellites, 4 shooting stars, a couple of planes. 

I might have mentioned before that this is the country where you have to take care - the cows up here EAT CARS!


No comments:

Post a Comment