Sunday 29 August 2021

North Queensland - 29 Aug 2021

It was cold overnight, but we were ok. 

I like the light of the morning

Darryl got up and went up the ridge fossicking early while I had a casual start. Around 10am I went up to take photos of Darryl fossicking on the ridge. 

Looks like a lot of hard work to me







Our camp from the top of the ridge

The neighbour's camp

He returned at 11am, sunburnt but with a pack of gems and more gravel. I visited the neighbours.  After lunch, Darryl went for a walk to the river,  while I did family history, read my book and had a nap.


Someone's sculpture in the far distance (taken by Darryl)

The creek on the other side of the ridge

Fullarton River

Darryl processed some of his gravel. Lights dinner, bath, watched for satellites.

Evening light on the ridge

"Garnets were once valuable, but now they are so common they are used for abrasive paper. I first found a garnet in 1970 off the Palmerston Highway on the way to Mt Garnet and ever since then wanted to find more. We did a side trip to Ruby Gap in the Northern Territory in 2019 but only managed to find a very small sliver. We had intended to fossick here after our Kimberley trip but circumstances stopped us. I would have been happy just to find a couple, and as I was thrilled to find as many as I did, I saw no point spending more time looking. After all, the property owner allows fossickers on the property for two days to enjoy the experience and it would be inconsiderate to abuse their trust" -- Darryl

No comments:

Post a Comment